The Snelling Center for Government invites members of the public, nonprofit and private sectors to apply for admission to the Vermont Leadership Institute.
The application process is highly competitive, with up to twenty-six associates selected on the basis of their professional achievements, demonstrated interest in the community, and potential for leadership.
Desired Applicant Qualities
- Committed to Vermont
- Curious about the issues facing Vermont
- Committed to learning and growing
- Values inquiry and dialogue
The Snelling Center is a non-partisan organization. As such, we encourage applicants from a variety of perspectives, and we welcome ideological diversity.
The VLI Class of 2020 will begin its training in September of 2019. Most session days take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with at least one overnight per session. Each session requires some advance preparation and some follow-up. Because of the interactive and interconnected nature of their time together, VLI Associates are expected to make a full time commitment to the program and to their own learning and development.
2020 – 2021 dates will be coming soon. Please click here to be notified when additional information about VLI 2021 is available.
2019 – 20 Session Dates:
- Thursday and Friday, September 26 & 27, 2019
- Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, October 28, 29 & 30, 2019
- Thursday and Friday, December 5 & 6, 2019
- Thursday and Friday, January 9 & 10, 2020
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, February 3, 4 & 5, 2020
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, March 18, 19 & 20, 2020
- Thursday and Friday, April 23 & 24, 2020
- Friday and Saturday, June 5 & 6, 2020
The Application Process
- Submit an application – applications are currently being accepted on a rolling basis.
- Include two letters of recommendation.
- Send a DIGITAL black and white headshot to Katelyn: email@example.com
- Submit a nonrefundable $25 application fee.
- Participate in an interview (near you, with alumni interviewers)
- Confirm your participation by July
Tuition for the 2019 – 2020 year is $7,550 for double occupancy, and $8,450 for single occupancy (includes food and lodging for the eight sessions/nineteen seminar days)
Information about Financial Aid: Avenues for tuition assistance