Additional Covid Precautions
We understand there may be additional anxiety about applying to VLI given the current state of affairs, so we want to offer extra reassurance that we are carefully planning for the next year. We are:
- Continually monitoring guidance from the VT Department of Health and CDC re: social distancing and hygiene requirements
- Meeting in large spaces to facilitate appropriate distancing
- Maximizing use of open-air and outside meeting spaces whenever possible
- Coordinating with all venues to ensure guest safety as the top priority, including changes to meal delivery, sanitization standards and more
- Offering the option of single room accommodations
Strong leadership has never been more important, so we hope you will seriously consider joining us for VLI 2021.
The Snelling Center for Government invites members of the public, nonprofit and private sectors to apply for admission to the Vermont Leadership Institute.
The application process is highly competitive, with up to twenty-six associates selected on the basis of their professional achievements, demonstrated interest in the community, and potential for leadership.
Desired Applicant Qualities
- Committed to Vermont
- Curious about the issues facing Vermont
- Committed to learning and growing
- Values inquiry and dialogue
The Snelling Center is a non-partisan organization. As such, we encourage applicants from a variety of perspectives, and we welcome ideological diversity.
The VLI Class of 2021 will begin its training in September of 2020. Most session days take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with at least one overnight per session. Each session requires some advance preparation and some follow-up. Because of the interactive and interconnected nature of their time together, VLI Associates are expected to make a full time commitment to the program and to their own learning and development.
Tentative 2020-2021 Session Dates*:
- Thursday and Friday, September 24 & 25, 2020
- Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, October 21, 22 & 23, 2020
- Thursday and Friday, December 3 & 4, 2020
- Thursday and Friday, January 7 & 8, 2021
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, February 8, 9 & 10, 2021
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, March 17, 18 & 19, 2021
- Thursday and Friday, April 29 & 30, 2021
- Friday and Saturday, June 4 & 5, 2021
*Please note these dates are subject to change based on evolving public health measures and mitigation strategies in relation to COVID-19. Session locations will be updated as the schedule is finalized.
The Application Process
- Submit an application by July 1, 2020.
- Include two letters of recommendation.
- Send a DIGITAL black and white headshot to Katelyn: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a nonrefundable $25 application fee.
- Participate in an interview either in-person or remotely depending on current public health measures.
- Confirm your participation in August.
Tuition for the 2020 – 2021 year is $7,800 for double occupancy, and $8,700 for single occupancy, which includes food and lodging.
Information about Financial Aid: Avenues for tuition assistance