The Snelling Center for Government invites members of the public, nonprofit and private sectors to apply for admission to the Vermont Leadership Institute.
The application process is highly competitive, with up to twenty-six associates selected on the basis of their professional achievements, demonstrated interest in the community, and potential for leadership.
Desired Applicant Qualities
- Committed to Vermont
- Curious about the issues facing Vermont
- Committed to learning and growing
- Values inquiry and dialogue
The Snelling Center is a non-partisan organization. As such, we encourage applicants from a variety of perspectives, and we welcome ideological diversity.
The VLI Class of 2019 will begin its training in September of 2018. Most session days take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with at least one overnight per session. Each session requires some advance preparation and some follow-up. Because of the interactive and interconnected nature of their time together, VLI Associates are expected to make a full time commitment to the program and to their own learning and development.
2018 – 19 Session Dates:
- Thursday and Friday, September 20 & 21, 2018
- Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, October 17, 18 & 19, 2018
- Thursday and Friday, November 29 & 30, 2018
- Thursday and Friday, January 3 & 4, 2019
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, February 4, 5 & 6, 2019
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, March 20, 21 & 22, 2019
- Thursday and Friday, April 25 & 26, 2019
- Friday and Saturday, May 31 & June 1, 2019
The Application Process
- Submit an application. Late applicants please email Suzanne at email@example.com for rolling admissions details.
- Include two letters of recommendation.
- Send a DIGITAL black and white headshot to Katelyn: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a nonrefundable $25 application fee.
- Participate in an interview (near you, with alumni interviewers)
- Confirm your participation by July
Printable 2019 application process (pdf)
Tuition for the 2018 – 2019 year is $7,550 for double occupancy, and $8,450 for single occupancy (includes food and lodging for the eight sessions/nineteen seminar days)
Information about Financial Aid: Avenues for tuition assistance