The Snelling Center for Government invites members of the public, nonprofit and private sectors to apply for admission to the Vermont Leadership Institute.
The application process is highly competitive, with up to twenty-six associates selected on the basis of their professional achievements, demonstrated interest in the community, and potential for leadership.
Desired Applicant Qualities
- Committed to Vermont
- Curious about the issues facing Vermont
- Committed to learning and growing
- Values inquiry and dialogue
The Snelling Center is a non-partisan organization. As such, we encourage applicants from a variety of perspectives, and we welcome ideological diversity.
The VLI Class of 2023 will begin its training in September of 2022. Most session days take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with at least one overnight per session. Each session requires some advance preparation and some follow-up. Because of the interactive and interconnected nature of their time together, VLI Associates are expected to make a full time commitment to the program and to their own learning and development.
Tentative 2022-2023 Session Dates:
- Thursday and Friday, September 29 & 30, 2022
- Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, November 2, 3 & 4, 2022
- Thursday and Friday, December 1 & 2, 2022 +
- Thursday and Friday, January 12 & 13, 2023
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, February 6, 7 & 8, 2023
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, March 22, 23 & 24, 2023
- Thursday and Friday, April 27 & 28, 2023
- Friday and Saturday, June 2 & 3, 2023
*Please note this is a tentative schedule. Locations will be updated prior to Session 1 and as the program progresses. Session dates marked with a + are pending confirmation.
The Application Process
- Submit an application.
- Include two letters of recommendation.
- Submit a nonrefundable $25 application fee.
- Participate in an interview, in-person vs. remote TBD.
- Confirm your participation in July.
We are no longer accepting applications for the upcoming year. If you would like to be notified when recruitment opens for the VLI Class of 2024, please click here.
The following interview also provides a more in-depth overview of the program’s history, philosophy, curriculum and more.
Tuition for the 2022 – 2023 year is $7,800 for double occupancy, and $8,700 for single occupancy, which includes food and lodging.
Information about Financial Aid: Avenues for tuition assistance