Additional Covid Precautions
As the vaccine continues to rollout and extra precautions remain in place, we have months of experience in delivering sessions in a safe manner. We continue to:
- Monitor guidance from the VT Department of Health and CDC re: social distancing and hygiene requirements
- Meet in large spaces to facilitate appropriate distancing
- Maximize use of open-air and outside meeting spaces whenever possible
- Coordinate with all venues to ensure guest safety as the top priority, including changes to meal delivery, sanitization standards and more
- Offer the option of single room accommodations
Strong leadership is vital to Vermont’s recovery, so we hope you will seriously consider joining us for VLI 2022.
The Snelling Center for Government invites members of the public, nonprofit and private sectors to apply for admission to the Vermont Leadership Institute.
The application process is highly competitive, with up to twenty-six associates selected on the basis of their professional achievements, demonstrated interest in the community, and potential for leadership.
Desired Applicant Qualities
- Committed to Vermont
- Curious about the issues facing Vermont
- Committed to learning and growing
- Values inquiry and dialogue
The Snelling Center is a non-partisan organization. As such, we encourage applicants from a variety of perspectives, and we welcome ideological diversity.
The VLI Class of 2022 will begin its training in September of 2021. Most session days take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with at least one overnight per session. Each session requires some advance preparation and some follow-up. Because of the interactive and interconnected nature of their time together, VLI Associates are expected to make a full time commitment to the program and to their own learning and development.
Tentative 2021-2022 Session Dates*:
- Thursday and Friday, September 23 & 24, 2021
- Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, October 27, 28 & 29, 2021
- Thursday and Friday, December 9 & 10, 2021
- Thursday and Friday, January 6 & 7, 2022
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, February 7, 8 & 9, 2022
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, March 16, 17 & 18, 2022
- Thursday and Friday, April 21 & 22, 2022
- Friday and Saturday, June 3 & 4, 2022
*Please note these dates are subject to change based on evolving public health measures and mitigation strategies in relation to COVID-19. Session locations will be updated as the schedule is finalized.
The Application Process
- Submit an application. Applications are currently being accepted on a rolling basis.
- Include two letters of recommendation.
- Send a DIGITAL headshot to Katelyn: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a nonrefundable $25 application fee.
- Participate in an interview either in-person or remotely depending on current public health measures.
- Confirm your participation in August.
Considering applying and curious to learn more? If you are interested in participating in an informational Zoom call, please click here.
The following interview also provides a more in-depth overview of the program’s history, philosophy, curriculum and more.
Tuition for the 2021 – 2022 year is $7,800 for double occupancy, and $8,700 for single occupancy, which includes food and lodging.
Information about Financial Aid: Avenues for tuition assistance